Hebrew Language Studies
Why Study Hebrew? Have you ever asked yourself, “Why should I study Hebrew?” If so, here are some possible answers:
- Hebrew is the language of the Bible, which is both a religious and cultural foundation of incalculable influence and – especially read in the original language – one of the world’s most dazzling literary achievements. Learning Hebrew is the simplest way into the Bible.
- Hebrew is unique: after 2000 years when nobody spoke it as a mother tongue, it was resurrected into full and vigorous life. Learn about how this took place, and how this ancient tongue now can say anything you can say in English or any other language.
- Hebrew is the language of Israel. Israel is not only of great importance to us as the Jewish Homeland, but is also country of constant importance on the world stage as it becomes fastest-growing high-tech centers of commerce. Learning a new language of commerce is always a valuable skill to have.
- Learning Hebrew is fast-moving and fun. It has to be: Modern Israel was built on teaching Hebrew to waves of immigrants. The Hebrew alphabet is only a small hurdle. The grammar is systematic, built around three-letter roots, and it’s not complicated.
- Israel has produced many famous writers in its short history. Yehuda Amichai, Amos Oz, A.B. Yehoshua and many others have explored the joys and difficulties of modern Jewish existence, the birth of Israel, the Holocaust, Middle East conflicts, and more. See what makes these writers great in the language they wrote in.
There are classes for beginners through advanced students. They are all small in number so that you will receive personalized attention.
- Kitah Alef – Hebrew from Scratch! – Want to open a prayer book or be able to speak in Hebrew, yet have never taken a day of Hebrew study or need a refresher to get you going? This is the class to start your Hebrew journey!
- Kitah Bet – Beginners-Intermediate Hebrew – Know how to read basic Hebrew, but want to take it to the next level? Then this class is for you as we focus on Hebrew conversation and reading comprehension.
- Kitah Gimmel – Advanced Hebrew – Have a basic understanding of the Hebrew language and want to build up your Hebrew grammar skills? Come and join us as we look at the various nuances of Hebrew grammar and dialogue.
- Kitah Hey – Hebrew Fluency – This class is for those who have a working knowledge of Hebrew and can speak it either at a fluent or near fluent level. In this class, the students will read and speak only in Hebrew.
Contact the Religious School Office to register.
CLICK TO JOIN